Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Training Day

This last Friday, a new girl was hired. Now, typically, I work Saturday as a waitress and Sunday as a hostess. So Saturday, this new girl didn't really learn anything, because the person she was working with didn't tech her anything. And let's face it, as waitresses we want tables to keep getting sat, and we don't like it when our own tables are empty. So Saturday was a train wreck for us. Sunday, it was the new girl hostessing, the one she was with yesterday, and myself. With the intent that I would be training her. The first girl was sent home and it was just the new girl and I. So what did I do to train her? I made her be the Scout. In hostessing terms, I made her look for empty tables to seat, put tables together and take them apart, and she had to take all of the tables to their seating area. I was then the Greeter. I smiled said "Hi, how many?" To every person who came in, and told tables "Thank you, have a good day." When it slowed down enough for us, I made sure to tell her I think someone learns the best when it's a hands on kind of thing, She agreed and she's actually a really good hostess.

So here are tips every hostess should be taught.
First of all, you should know which booths can hold the most people. This will come in handy depending on how big parties are.
Secondly, carry a highlighter. Some people prefer tables to booths, and vice versa. If someone wants a table, and you have to skip over them, do so. But keep in mind they will need to be sat sooner than most.
Third off, know the seat time for your tables. At my restaurant, if there are seven people or more, they need to know the wait time will be about forty-five minutes to one hour. If it's five or six people, I tell them it'll be about thirty minutes, and if it's four or less, I tell them it'll be between ten and fifteen minutes, or it will be between fifteen and twenty minutes.

That should start you off on hostessing.

Here are more tips.



3 comments:

  1. WOW, I never worked as a waitress or hostessing before. But I'd like to try your tips oneday.

    And here is my blog
    http://vxvbeauty1.blogspot.com/
    Appreciate to give me more hits!
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks for the tips although, I don't think I plan to become a hostess ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems so complicated. Good insights for people who don't know how much effort really goes into that.

    ReplyDelete