Friday, October 12, 2012

Change as a Waitress

I never questioned how servers carried cash before I became a waitress, but after becoming a waitress, I learned how to carry change. If I come into work with no amount of cash on me, and a customer gives me a twenty to pay for their meal, I know how to break the twenty up into change to give back, and then recycle the rest of that change throughout my shift. Now, I know what you're thinking. "Alexa, how do you recycle the change so it can be recycled throughout your shift?" The answer is simple you take a twenty dollar bill, and you exchange it for two five dollar bills, seven one dollar bills, two dollars in quarters, six dimes, six nickels, and ten pennies. Then you have change for the day, and it can be recycled, oh yeah, and tips help you keep change all day. In the world of serving, we don't call change "change" we call it jingle. There's a fun fact for everyone today.

2 comments: